There’s plenty to explore ‘on the mainland’ of Queensland, but when you’re feeling like an escape (relaxing or adventurous), the Whitsunday Islands are a must visit location.
The Whitsunday Islands are made up of 74 islands, most of which are uninhabited and boast dense rainforest, pristine beaches and hiking trails.
Each island features calm beaches, secluded bays, and can be the setting for relaxing sun filled days. It can also be the backdrop for adrenaline filled adventures.
Top five things to do on a backpackers budget:
1. Bushwalk the Whitsunday Great Walk – a free activity in the region walking through rainforests on amazing hiking tracks
2. Pack a tent and get dropped off around the islands on Scamper – Island connections
(camping permits required at around $5 per day)
3. Hop on a crewed overnight sailing trip and lay on the deck whilst counting the stars of the Southern Hemisphere
4. Cook yourself bacon and eggs on the BBQ and hang out at the Airlie Beach Lagoon for the day.
5. Help Clean up the Great Barrier Reef – donate a few hours and get a trip out to the islands with Eco Barge Clean Sea’s; a not for profit organisation that protects marine life
Whitsunday Island is ideal for day trips on a budget, while Hook Island offers a range of accommodation for longer stays. Hayman Island, on the other hand, is all about luxury and the perfect place to indulge in a splurge weekend away.